How to read a Mission
1) How does one go about interpreting the architecture and material culture of the California missions?
2) What are primary resource documents, and how does one make use of mission landmarks for getting at the interpretation of California’s Spanish colonial heritage?
- Mythic beginnings/Spanish colonial history
- How to read a Mission
- Mission art and music
- Mythic constructs and historical memory
- Piracy, the Spanish militia, and indigenous leadership
- Indigenous acculturation, conversion, and authority
- Mission life ways and political economy
- Secularization, decline, and restoration of the California missions