Mythic constructs and historical memory
1) What primary myths and themes dominate discussions of the California missions and why?
2) What historical realities pervade consideration of the California missions?
3) What role does the Leyenda Negra or Black Legend play in the perpetuation of myths and stereotypes about the California missions?
- Mythic beginnings/Spanish colonial history
- How to read a Mission
- Mission art and music
- Mythic constructs and historical memory
- Piracy, the Spanish militia, and indigenous leadership
- Indigenous acculturation, conversion, and authority
- Mission life ways and political economy
- Secularization, decline, and restoration of the California missions