Guiding Questions — European Colonialism
European Colonial Interactions
1. In what ways did missions in California interact with other peoples coming to the area from countries such as Russia and England?
2. Why were the Spanish and other Europeans so sure of an actual Northwest Passage existing?
3. How much influence did the Russians have on the area and how much of a threat was Russian control of the area to warrant the Spanish building the missions?
4. How did the presence the Russia, England, and other explorers impact the development of the Missions and Presidios?
5. How do the experiences of the Spanish and Native Americans in California compare to other encounters between Europeans and non-Europeans during this period?
6. How did the settling of the Pacific Northwest by the Spanish affect, if at all, global economies? What role did it play, if any, in the Colombian Exchange?
7. At Fort Ross, the Russians are given credit for creating a buffer for the natives against the Spanish expansion; at Mission San Rafael, just the opposite. Is there good evidence for either claim?