Guiding Questions — Mission Languages
Language in the Missions
1. How did the Spaniards communicate with the Indians in the missions? Was Spanish the only language allowed?
2. Are there Indian words which have become part of the American Spanish dialect based on vocabulary used in the missions?
3. It must have been difficult for the Spanish soldiers and missionaries to overcome the many varieties of Native American language and cultural diversities. On average, how long did this take?
4. Did each mission establishment reflect an individual dialect for the indigenous people?
5. How many different dialects were found among the missions, and were there any basic commonalities or reference points?
6. Were any Native American languages incorporated into modern Spanish language as spoken in the United States?
7. How many different dialects were found among them and were there any basic commonalities or reference points?