Guiding Questions — Secularization and Decline
Secularization of the Missions / Mexican Era / American Era
1. What impact did Native/Spanish relations have on Native/U.S. relations in the years following 1849?
2. How does the Spanish period of California differ from the Mexican period?
3. When the missions system declined what happened to the natives who had converted and left their tribal groups?
4. What were the effects on the Mission Indians, padres, and others living at the missions during and after Secularization?
5. What happened with the missions and mission lands after Secularization?
6. Why were the Spanish, and later the Mexicans, ultimately unable to hold onto this territory?
7. Was it simply military might on the part of the US, or were there other, hidden factors, that played a role in this major loss of territory?
8. With the land grants and secularization of the mission properties, how did so many of the missions get returned to the church?