Guiding Questions — Mission Architecture
Mission Architecture and Construction
1. What influence did indigenous people have on art and architecture in the building of the missions?
2. How did the early Spanish missions in California differ from early Florida missions in architecture and building materials?
3. If there were indeed differences between the missions of Spanish Florida and California, what were the reasons or causes? Was the red tile roof also used in Florida? If not, why?
4. If both Mission San Carlos and the Royal Presidio Chapel were both constructed of cut sandstone, where does the misconception that “all the Missions are made of adobe” come from? Are the majority of the remaining sites adobe?
5. What deeper meanings are exposed when moot details, such as artifacts and method of construction, are explored about a particular mission?
6. Are there laws which regulate the types of changes and renovations which can be made to missions currently being used as parishes?