Guiding Questions — Mythic Constructs
Mythic Constructs and Historical Memory
1. What is the best approach for school students to counteract the “romantic image” that has been promoted about missions?
2. How historically accurate or inaccurate were these stories about Zorro, and is the character based on a historical figure or pure fiction?
3. How does the Ramona story fit with the northern California missions, or is it mostly related to southern California?
4. In addition, does northern California have a similar notion as southern California that they embrace the Spanish or more European culture as an influence to California’s culture and not embracing the Mexican culture as much?
5. The Missions catalyzed romantic myths and stereotypes of Native Americans. How might Indian casinos now be doing the same?