Indigenous acculturation, conversion, and authority
1) What role did the missions play in indigenous acculturation and culture change?
2) How was the material culture of the Native Californian transformed with the arrival of the Spanish padres, and subsequently, with the transition to Mexican California?
- Mythic beginnings/Spanish colonial history
- How to read a Mission
- Mission art and music
- Mythic constructs and historical memory
- Piracy, the Spanish militia, and indigenous leadership
- Indigenous acculturation, conversion, and authority
- Mission life ways and political economy
- Secularization, decline, and restoration of the California missions