Piracy, the Spanish militia, and indigenous leadership
1) What role did the Spanish militia play on the mission frontier?
2) How were the Spanish military districts and their facilities configured and why?
3) To what extent did piracy play a role in the nature of both mission and coastal defenses?
- Mythic beginnings/Spanish colonial history
- How to read a Mission
- Mission art and music
- Mythic constructs and historical memory
- Piracy, the Spanish militia, and indigenous leadership
- Indigenous acculturation, conversion, and authority
- Mission life ways and political economy
- Secularization, decline, and restoration of the California missions