Mission life ways and political economy
1) What long-term processes and daily practices were introduced into Native California by the missionaries?
2) How did the pre-Contact Native Californian diet differ from that of the mission neophytes?
3) What constitutes the traditional technologies of the Native Californians?
- Mythic beginnings/Spanish colonial history
- How to read a Mission
- Mission art and music
- Mythic constructs and historical memory
- Piracy, the Spanish militia, and indigenous leadership
- Indigenous acculturation, conversion, and authority
- Mission life ways and political economy
- Secularization, decline, and restoration of the California missions