Mission art and music
1) What artistic and musical traditions dominated daily life in the California missions?
2) How did Spanish colonial art serve to convey both aesthetic values and notions of civility on the Spanish frontier?
3) What were the physical characteristics and functions of the mission campus on the frontier?
- Mythic beginnings/Spanish colonial history
- How to read a Mission
- Mission art and music
- Mythic constructs and historical memory
- Piracy, the Spanish militia, and indigenous leadership
- Indigenous acculturation, conversion, and authority
- Mission life ways and political economy
- Secularization, decline, and restoration of the California missions